There is a fever pitched level of excitement around the iPad 2 launch event scheduled for later today.
- Will it have front and back facing cameras?
- Will it have enough hardware to keep it relevant in the tablet market?
- If they don’t release a new version of iOS will it hold up well enough against Android 3.0 (Honeycomb)?
It will be interesting to see, how this all plays out for the consumer. I suspect Apple if they aren’t releasing anew version of the iOS for this device will find the response pretty underwhelming. I suppose therefore they are going to feature other aspects of the device such as:
- MobileMe integration
- File storage in the cloud with OSX lion.
- increased security for usability in enterprise environments.
- COST… Believe it or not this time around Apple is set to be the affordable alternative, made possible by careful supply chain control, and volume.
If they can display true benefits outside of lock in tactics, they stand to maintain the title of King of the tablets. All things considered Apple has a lot of weight riding on this release, especially in the light of Steve Jobs health.