It is official, October 12th iOS5 and all of its iCloud goodness become available for your iPads and iPhones.
I has been a while, since the release of the iPad and the iPad 2. There were mixed emotions with iOS in that it was essentially a big iPhone. The answer to that debate is a matter of personal preferences which we can save for the forums. However an upgrade to the iPad that solves the inability to update/sync and activate without a PC is more than a little late to the party. This does not imply that it in anyway an unwelcome guest.
A quick bullet of confirmations will hold you over until the release occurs on October 12th. Come back soon for the Google Ice Cream Sandwich release in one week.
iOS 5 and what it means to you.
- Easily share images between devices. Some privacy implications should be obvious.
- Easily re-download apps.
- PC free activations and updates over Wireless. (it is about time Apple)
- Extensive Twitter integration.
- iCloud storage locker upgradeable for a fee.
- iCloud Playlist syncing for iTunes. (Is iTunes still a complete lockin or can this run on non Apple devices?)
- Daily backup from iCloud.
- Reading list sync between devices.
- Game Center improvements.
- iMessage to battle RIM’s fading BB Messenger